The ALBERNI VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE is the “voice of business” for the entire region. Registered under the federal Boards of Trade Act, the chamber is a membership-driven organization focused on continually improving the business climate in the community.
Our vision is to make the Alberni Valley a leading business-friendly community in BC.
We support and promote our business community, through advocacy, education and communication.
- Supporting and promoting members and the business community at large.
- Being the focal point for tourism and visitor services.
- Advancing the general welfare of the community.
- Communication to the Member Community via Newsletters, e-blasts, social media, etc.
- Dinner Meetings held monthly throughout the Port Alberni area designed to foster Networking opportunities while featuring guest speakers on pertinent informational topics.
- Annual Business Excellence Awards held each April where a dozen or more Awards are given out to deserving individuals and business organizations in the community.
- Through our various Committees such as the Civic Affairs one we monitor and comment on Local, Provincial and National matters that affect the well-being of our community.
- Overseeing and management of the Summer Long Sunset Street Market held every Wednesday evening in July/August at the Victoria Quay Waterfront. Vendors and the public alike are invited to enjoy the environment, promote their goods and simply enjoy an evening in Port Alberni.
- Periodic Artisan Fairs held at the Chamber of Commerce/Visitor Centre as a means of welcoming the public to our wonderful environment. These occur frequently between the May long-weekend and Labour Day.
- Coordination of the Ambassador Program in the Alberni Valley; a program where volunteer retirees give back to the community by way of their presence on either the MV Frances Barkley or on site at Cathedral Grove. Both venues see an abundance of travellers, many from other Continents, who are keen to learn of the marvels of the Alberni Valley.
- Management of the Mobile Visitor Center - a partially restored 1989 Ford Van that is decaled up representing some of the many things to do in the Alberni Valley. Our MVC reaches out to Visitors to the area by going TO them in high traffic areas.
- Tasked with maintaining our general membership and attracting new members to the Chamber as well as maximizing membership benefits and communications. Chair of the Committee is Director - Deb Haggard.
- Tasked with the annual Community Excellence Awards event. Chaired by Bill Collette with 12 other local people involved for the 2016 Awards Ceremony. Committee members include: Bill Collette, Norma Doucette, Neil Malbon, Kris Patterson, Nicole Mitchell (all from the Chamber) + John Douglas, Cheryl MacLean, M.G. Walker, Kenn Whiteman, & Curtis Korver.
- Tasked with improving the business climate in the Alberni Valley
- Projects on the go:
- "Shop Alberni" campaign
- Developing a "White Paper" on business in the Alberni Valley
- Researching feasibility of an Alberni Economic Development Corporation
- Chaired by Jan Lavertu with support from Bill Collette, Sarah Jones (Walk the Coast), Lori Kerr (Coastal Credit Union) & Terry Deakin
Civic Affairs Committee:
- Tasked with analyzing various City, Regional and Provincial documents, bylaws and overall policy, the Civic Affairs Committee is our most active and involved committee. Meeting monthly at the Chamber office (Every 2nd Tuesday at 7:30am) the CA Committee welcomes new members and input. The Committee routinely offers suggestions to City Leaders on Bylaw recommendations and through our suggestions we have seen a number of ajdustments to policy. Current members of the CA Committee include: Chair Bob Kanngiesser (firstname.lastname@example.org), Bill Collette, Jonathan Cross, Peter Mugleston, Kevin Smith, Glenn Walushka, Brad Minton, Cheryl McLean & Jan Lavertu. WE WELCOME NEW MEMBERS OF THIS ALL IMPORTANT COMMITTEE.
Junior Achievement Committee:
- Tasked with delivering the provincial Junior Achievement program in SD 70 schools.
- A volunteer team of "mentors" present "business in the real world" classes to SD 70 students. Volunteers always welcome.
- Chaired by Cherie Williams with support from Bill Collette.
- Tasked with developing a sign program for the visitor centre property.
- Designed by city staff.
- Chaired by Neil Malbon with support from Bill Collette, Peter Wienold and Teresa Bird.
THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE ALSO HAS REPRESENTATIVES ON SEVERAL OTHER LOCAL ORGANIZATIONS INCLUDING:
- Waste Management Committee: Kris Patterson
- Transportation Committee: Neil Malbon
- Alberni Valley Tourism: Jonathan Cross
- Alberni Valley Bulldogs: Bill Collette
- Alberni Valley Regatta Association: Bill Collette
The Chamber also holds a fee-for-service contract with the City of Port Alberni to house and operate the Visitor Centre. This is a fully sanctioned Tourism BC information centre, offering first line, professional travel counselling and information for potential investors.
Our mandate is to promote events, attractions and services available within the Alberni Valley and deliver first class travel counselling to visitors and locals, alike. Our Visitor Centre brochure racking services prove most valuable to businesses of all kinds in the region. We are the regional WorldHost Program delivery organization.
As the voice of business in the valley, our success is directly dependant upon membership strength. We invite you to enquire about the many benefits offered through chamber membership.
Our contact information: